Wednesday, May 20, 2009

So Vick is out..

Well, out of prison. Wow, to me it went by pretty fast. He did his time..still doesn't make up for what he INTENTIONALLY did to those dogs. I know several NFL athletes and I know even when they do something so minor, it get's blow up in the media. I know this. But Pit Bulls are my love, my favorite breed. 2 of them are like human children to us. I got an email from the President of the Humane Society of the United States and it says to give Vick a chance...that he wants to work with the HS and do public service announcements. I really hope he does it! I really do. Kids need to know that not only do you get in trouble and go to jail and lose you job and lots of personal possessions, but IT IS WRONG to hurt a living creature. Its not cool, its not fun, it doesn't make you more of a man. I see so much volunteering, so many dogs that have been fought, or used as bait, its SAD. I really hope he will get out there an do some good. BUT I think he needs to do this and show and prove that indeed he is remorseful, not that he lost a lot of money, but that is not right to KILL those dogs in that manor. I think he needs to do this BEFORE being reinstated in the NFL..That's what I think. He needs to do some good first, then if an owner wants to take that chance, well, that is up to them. Again, I know how athletes are scrutinized in the media and by fan's, TRUST ME, I know all too well. But purposely killing an animal, a dog, a breed that I have sleeping by my side at this very moment..whoa..it's hard to even look at him. I've met Vick a couple of times, he was a decent guy those 2 times..but I hope I don't 'meet' him again unless its to introduce him to a group of kids that think fighting Pit Bulls is 'cool'. I really hope he does something to make some good come out of this.  Again, two of those beautiful creatures are sleeping so gently beside me right now...it's hard for me to process what Vick did, but he did his time..and now he has the chance to prove that he is indeed SORRY. 

7 comments:

ramblings_river said...

I've been really annoyed with people in the media saying we should all just get over it because Vick did his time. I agree that he's paid a pretty hefty price, but the damage he did was lasting. The dogs that did survive will have issues for the rest of their lives.

Granted, if he does become an advocate and can convince others that dog fighting is not cool or ok then at least something positive can come out of the situation.

Kembree said...

Thanks for the comment. I am really trying to look at it in a way that he can make an impact to help those kids that still fight dogs, sooo much here in Memphis too. I think it would take his celebrity to change these kids minds. But he does need to make an impact in that way first I believe before being reinstated..

laura said...

He can say he's sorry all he wants but what he did was sick. Period. I don't want to hear about how dog fights are a 'southern thing' either (this was stated in the news in his 'defense') and it's not like he wasn't making enough money playing football! And don't you love the idiots who shot the dogs who lost their fights? At least the poor things were put out of their misery.I was stomping around our apartment last night in a fury when I heard he'd been released and I'm thrilled that his team isn't taking him back. It'll be a very sad day for animals if a team chooses to bring him back on board! Sorry to go on and on but animals deserve to be protected.

Kembree said...

I agree, but until we get our city council members to make dog fighting and gambling with it a federal crime and strengthen the terms, he did serve what he was given. I just think he needs to speak out against fighting, he still has a HUGE following and could really do some good!!

Unknown said...

Some of Vick's dogs are now living a happy life. Regretfully, more had to be put down than didn't. For that reason alone I wish Vick was never allowed back into the NFL (his life of privilege). However, as bad as what Vick and his friends did was, if the powers that be see a chance to make a buck it wouldn't have mattered if Vick had killed those dogs with his bare hands in front of a group of small children. He'll be back. Hopefully, a better, wiser, more mature man this time. Have fun working construction Vick.

Me in Memphis said...

I agree that he did serve his time. However, I think it's a matter of morals, and I personally think what he did was was disgusting and he should not be allowed to play football again. Simply because NFL players are held to a higher standard than everyday people (whether that is fair or not, it's the way it is). He's in the public eye 100% of the time, and his actions are a reflection of his team, the owners, the other players, and everyone associated with the NFL. I cannot fathom how an owner would want this person on his team, but I'm sure someone will do it. And I hope people protest at every game and at every practice.

Kembree said...

I am so glad I have gotten some good comments on here on this topic. I really try to look at things on both sides of the coin, although this is sooo personal to me! I just think we need to actively write the powers that be and show and prove to them how this is important to us! We can't just say we disapprove but write letters and make phone calls...I can't imagine him in an NFL uniform, but have to think realistically and its sad, but he will probably play somewhere again. Dog Fighting is HUGE in Memphis, Michael Vick is the national face of it, but "Joe Blow" who lives here needs to pay just as severely!!