Friday, May 15, 2009

King Biscuit is now Cafe Etc...

King Biscuit Memories












I had heard that King Biscuit closed due to not paying their taxes. Not sure if that is accurate, but it was sad when I heard they were closing. I had a lot of fun times there, we used to frequent the place. They played good music and the crowd was pretty good for the suburbs. It was nice to have a place that we could dance, have a drink and a good meal. It was non smoking too. It was no South Beach club, but this is Cordova and it was nice to have some nightlife around us. Lot's of birthday parties at King Biscuit.  Cafe Etc on the other hand is a place that we go every once in a while. It was located right next to TJ Mulligan's right around the corner and they delivered. I noticed about 3 weeks ago a sign saying they had moved, but didn't notice to where. When I got my free Back Yard Burger I went in the old space and asked what was moving in. I was informed that TJ Mulligan's was taking the space. So with that expansion there will only be a nail shop next to them. Cafe Etc moved into the King Biscuit spot. We kicked it like we were in college last night at BBQ (pictures to come) and really needed some greasy food that Cafe Etc specializes in. Cafe Etc actually doesn't specialize in much. They have EVERYTHING on their menu. From Fried Rice to Burgers to Wings to Soups and Eggrolls.  They have the BEST French Dip Sandwich complete with the best Au Jus I have tasted. I don't even want to know how fattening this sandwich is, that's why we can't go there that much. I don't think they have anything low fat, low calorie or healthy on their menu. Which is fine, but Cafe Etc doesn't work with my 'Look Good in a Bikini' plan. I have to say Cafe Etc picked a weird spot for their restaurant. Being next to Mulligans, they had a small space, the King Biscuit space is very big and almost too nice for Cafe Etc. They have really low cost tables and chairs and not enough for the big space and they hung up some cheap poster like pictures on the walls. King Biscuit had scored concrete floors, couches, built in contemporary trees. It was so strange sitting there with country music blaring and no shades on the windows with the bright sun coming in. The clientele was even different, most looked like they ate there a lot. I'm very curious to go back and see what changes they make in the future, it just seemed so odd  for them to be in that space...

1 comment:

Me in Memphis said...

I saw this when I was out there last weekend!! The few times I've gone out to the burbs in the past 3 or 4 years, we went to KB. It was pretty cool, I really liked it. Too bad it shut down :(