Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Captain John's Old Tyme Pit Barbecue-Collierville Number 11



We went to Captain John's Old Tyme Pit Barbecue in Collierville on February 26, 2009. I had called ahead and learned that the son of the 2nd owner's Shane, now owns and runs the restaurant. This was originally a franchise, a pilot bought it and ran it under Captain John's for six years until Shane and his family bought it about 20 years ago. It is right off Highway 72 and right off Bill Morris Parkway (385) exit Highway 72. 

Courtney's Review: 
Captain John's was a pleasant surprise. I had never been there and had barely heard of it, but will definitely go back.  As soon as you enter, the smokey smell of the bbq hits you so you know they're cooking on site (which was one of the disappointments of Gridley's). We even saw them chopping the pork shoulder in the back...another good sign. I thought the pork sandwich was really good. Tender, moist meat with a smokey flavor. The sauce was good, too, although I prefer mine just a little bit sweeter. The owner was very friendly and gave us some history about the restaurant. It's a little out of the way but it's so close to 385 you can get there fairly quick from any part of the city. 

Diane's Review: The barbecue sandwich was good. I liked it because it wasn't swimming in the sauce. The beans were average. I would give the sandwich a 3.

Randy's Review:  I liked the brown barbecue and would give it a 3.5. There was nothing memorable about it. That's just not to say it was bad. Basically if you consider all the bbq joints we've been to, I really couldn't say one was horrible. Maybe that means that as a whole, Memphis has pretty good barbeque. 

Kembree's Review: I really liked what the place looked like as we pulled up to it. It looked like an old 50's diner, but in a nostalgic way, not a run down way. Walking in the door, you smelled 
what you were supposed to smell, the smokey bbq smells. I got the bbq plate with fries and onion rings. Both side
were good, normal, nothing special, but the bbq sandwich was really good. It was a great size and stayed in the bun for the most part. I liked the flavor, not perfect, but really good for a place we weren't sure about. Shane the owner came out and made sure we were ok after I had called and asked a few questions. I give the sandwich a 3.5 out of 5. Much better than Gridley's. 

Regina's Review: This was a pleasant surprise for me. I have driven by this place hundreds of times. I would choose this over the other bbq joint in Collierville. I enjoyed smelling the
 pit when we walked in hearing the chopping. We even saw an employee get meat off the pit. The meat was smoky, the sauce was tasty, beans were fair. Overall, Yummy. The owner's history lesson was great. 

Brett's Review: Captain John's was a surprise. I lived in Collierville for almost 10 years and I never knew it was there. I had a great bbq sandwich that came recommended this time. The owner came and said hello and even gave us a bit of history. I say 5 out of 5 on this one. 

Loren's Review: With my unsophisticated palette I liked Captain John's bc it was moist and spicy taste was jut right. The portions at Captain John's were generous and the owner was friendly and accommodating. 

No comments: