Monday, September 1, 2008

Gustav Dogs


Since I have been volunteering at the Humane Society, not even two years yet, I have gotten to take part in some of the most rewarding work. Today was a day I wont forget. Most of us have been watching the Gustav coverage and wondering what to do to help, today I got to help. The Humane Society is taking in the dogs of those that are in shelters in the area. A few other dog walkers and I got to take these sweet babies out for some much needed exercise. Most are very scared and confused to where they are. We have them in crates in our community room. Most have never been in crates or away from their owners, so you can imagine how they are feeling. We also got to interact with the people who were evacuated. They were so appreciative of us taking care of their dogs. Some drove up with their pets, others that were buses had their dogs on the train. The dogs went from scared with us to elated when they saw their owners. I think we will have them there for about a week or until everyone can come home. We did have a few dogs with no names and yet to see their owners, so that is kind of scary. I'm going to help out all week, so hopefully I will get some pictures soon. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

catching up on your blog.. you crack me up. Happy Belated. Hope all the evacuee doggies are doing ok. I am so glad the trains/buses let the people bring theirpets this time!