Friday, October 24, 2008

Blight


Ok, I had never heard anyone using this word until this year. For some reason its all over the news here in Memphis to describe what I would describe as areas or homes that people do not take care of. Well last week a house that is on the way to my neighborhood had some major blight. There was a group of men taking everything out of this house and throwing it on the front yard. Now, this was a house that for months I had been telling Tony that I have to complain about. I will say for the most part everyone really takes care of their yards and keeps their 'junk' closed away in the 'closed' garages. Well this house had weeds taller than the door and then you couldn't even see the door, the weeds had gotten so high. The family had children and they had tons and tons of toys that covered their driveway and they kept their garage door 'open'. So..back to last week, these men where throwing everything on the lawn. It was CRAZY! After they got done people were crawling around in it and hoarding it for themselves in their cars. This went on for a few days and even at night. People would have flashlights and be milling around in all the disgusting junk! I had to take pictures, it was just embarrassing this was a house very close to mine. The consensus is that these people were foreclosed on, my thoughts are even that they were renters and were evicted. Nonetheless, it was very sad to see all of their property on their front lawn.  It's all cleaned up now and I think I speak for all those on the street and have had to look at this are happy!

1 comment:

Angy said...

Wow - what a horrible sight to have in your neighborhood. We had one of those a year ago and sad to say, I was happy to see them go. Now there is a nice young couple in the house and they take amazing care of it.