Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Did your DOGS get a Swine Flu Shot?

So we packed up our car the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, got the dogs ready for their long weekend at the kennel and when we walk in the door there were signs everywhere stating dogs must have the Swine Flu Shot before staying. Ok, so I had called the Friday before to make their reservation and nothing was mentioned of it. I expressed that to the front desk who didn't seem to care either way and the vet tech who express how serious it was and how a lot of pet owners were going to be upset this year about their pets being sick, and she stressed seriously sick. Ok, so how much is this shot? $27 per dog and then a followup shot two weeks later for $27. They handed us a brochure with information and highlighted states that had infected dogs/cases, Tennessee was not even a highlighted state! But the office staff and vet techs told us that 'it was coming'. We asked to speak to the vet, who was not there. This is not our vet, but we kennel Lennox and Lane at a place where there is an animal hospital and behind it is a 'pet resort'. They really like it, the people are nice and *key*, they have covered kennels. Lennox has escaped from several kennels and is banned from 2 here in Memphis and one in Atlanta. Well one of those has closed here in Memphis, so I guess just one in Memphis he is banned from. So what do you do, but get the dang shot and hit the road for Thanksgiving, we were already late? The whole drive I was constantly thinking, I hope they didn't have a reaction to it, thinking what the heck is that shot? So fast forward to two weekends ago when we went to Nashville, we still hadn't gotten a phone call from the vet, the vet tech or the rep for the drug (shot), but we had to kennel the dogs and get their second shot, bc who knows who else is going to start asking for this shot. Well when Lennox was in there, he got a Hematoma and they had to drain it. In total it cost $100 for this, but what really got me, really got me...was on the itemized bill...$24 for a bandage. Yep $24 for the bandage tape stuff to wrap around his ear. Kinda was the straw that ended our relationship with them, for now atleast. Heck this place is 22 miles from my house and not in the best neighborhood. So this past weekend for New Year's we kenneled them at Eads Animal Hospital about 9 miles from here and I think they really liked it. Well they did tell me Lennox kept peeing in his kennel..and they referred to Lane as a 'she', but they are asleep on my lap now.

So Tony and I aren't even vaccinated with the swine flu shot, but Lennox and Lane are!

4 comments:

Kari in Alaska said...

Ive never heard of it for dogs! Seems like a way to make a bit of money to me

Kembree said...

EXACTLY! So irritating!

Toni said...

It's amazing how much they charge for stuff like that. I took my three in for their shots and it was over $500 for their exams and shots. I should have been a vet!

Kembree said...

Hey I found out that you can get some shots that are good for 3 years...did ya'll know this? It saves some and I might do it next time...My neighbor Julie does this...